Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Breakfast Made Over.

   I am so excited about this! We've all heard about Green Smoothies/Green Monster/Green Goo right? Basically some kind of smoothie with something green in it, whether it be spinach, kale, etc. When I first heard about it, I thought "Eww". But as I started to think about it, at some point we ALL tend to lack on the 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. I won't lie, usually the only time I get veggies in my belly is during lunch and dinner (maybe 2 or 3 servings combined) My breakfasts on the weekdays are usually Cheerios or Shredded Mini-Wheats and a piece of fruit. On the weekends, we feast at breakfast. Pancakes and Bacon. YUM. 
  So hear me out... we could all use more veggies. 2 weeks ago I started drinking this smoothie, and since then I've LOST 4 pounds with no change in exercise. Wahoooo!




Healthy Breakfast Smoothie

  • 2 handfuls of baby spinach or if you'd like, kale. 
  • 1 medium sized banana.
  • 1 cup pineapple, peaches, apricots, pears, or whatever fruit you'd like. (If using canned, it MUST be in 100% juice, no light syrup or heavy syrup). 
  • 1/2 cup Nonfat Plain Yogurt. I use Stonyfield since that's really the only brand they have at our commissary. If I'm out of yogurt (which happens a lot, for some reason it takes the commissary forever to restock the shelf) I will use 1/2 c. skim milk.
  • 1 cup cold water. 

This morning it was 1 banana, 1 c. peaches, 2 handfuls b.spinach, 1 c. water, 1/2 c. skim milk.
Blend well until smooth.




Voila! This will make a BIG glass, but drink it all, it's SO good. You won't taste 
the spinach at all. If you want your kids to give this a try,
call it a "Shrek Smoothie" :)




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment